The struggle gets even more real when you’re taking on a renovation at a condo, high-rise or other multi-family residence — there are usually unforeseen restrictions and extra costs to deal with. Renovating a high rise has different considerations than renovating a standalone property.
Most high rises have some strict guidelines for any construction that you may wish to start in the building. This may consist of security clearance for tradespeople entering, and only conducting work during specific hours, for example.
When considering renovations in an apartment, usually structural changes are not permitted, nor are alterations to common areas. However, you are usually able to change things that aren’t part of the structure such as kitchen joinery, fixtures and fittings, appliances and floor coverings.
If you are considering renovating an apartment, in a high-rise building, you must consider the following:
1.Individual property and body corporate by-laws, even if you have renovated in another building, don’t presume the current one’s rules are the same.
2. Some apartment complexes also have strict rules for the individual apartments, such as what structural changes may or may not be tolerated.
3. It is important to maintain relationships with your body corporate managers and neighbors and let them know of anything that may affect their circumstances over the course of the renovation.
For example, is the lift going to be in use at certain times? is there going to possibly be excessive noise on a particular day? Keeping neighbors happy will make the renovation process a lot more pleasant!
4. Make sure common property and access areas are kept safe and unobstructed at all times.
5. Ensure that construction hours are consistent with body corporate and council guidelines.
6. Ensure common areas are kept clean and tidy at all times.
Although they may have strict rules that you feel limit your renovations, it is worth being proactive and communicating with them.
If you are the owner of a high rise and are considering renovating or gut-rehabbing your space, contact us today to discuss your options. We will help you make your vision a reality by coming up with a plan that fits your design taste as well as your budget and can manage the project from start to finish. With many years in business and thousands of projects under our belt, we have the experience and expertise necessary to get your project done right.